Youth in Care Supports
On July 31, 2014, the Aftercare Benefits Initiative (ABI), a comprehensive health and dental benefits program for former youth in care, was implemented. There are two groups of eligible youth:
- Former Crown Wards or youth who were eligible to receive Continued Care and Support for Youth (CCSY) or Extended Care and Maintenance (ECM) and are between 21 and 25 years of age. This includes youth who:
- had Crown Ward status that expired at age 18.
- were subject to a formal customary care agreement or a protection custody order age 18; or
- were eligible for support under the Renewed Youth Support (RYS) program.
- Youth who were adopted on or after June 1, 2016 and are between 18 and 25 years of age.
If you are an eligible youth or know of a youth whom may be eligible, our agency welcomes your inquiry, please call 1-800-268-1899 and ask to speak to a Child Care Worker.